Friday, July 22, 2011

Week 2--MTC

Family and Friends!
Ok, so the count down on the computer has already begun.. 29 mins left. What a great week this has been! I'm going to just do this bullet point style of all the great moments with Syster Winterton during week 2! at the MTC
  •  I love P-Day's! Last Pday was great to just write and relax. We ate lunch outside.. made friends. I am still getting lost with all these buildings looking the same. But Syster W has a great sense of direction built in and so she just keeps leading me along. She always gets a kick out of it when I make a wrong turn. She said the other day, "What are you going to do when you are made senior comp and all the sudden don't know how to get anywhere!?" I told her I'd just pray real hard :)
  • Most mornings I wake up at 6 and go running with a sister in my room named Sister McPhie from Vernal, UT. She is really funny and going to Lithuania. She is in her last two weeks here so she is trying to just speak Lithuanian. So she will say something to me and I'll make up some funny translation for it. It is a great start to the day.
  • Gym time. LOVE IT! Syster and I play volleyball with our district often--Erik I am practicing the techniques you taught me... my setting is the worst. They don't let us play Ultimate though, it supposedly too dangerous.. dont know where they got that idea from :) Especially when they let us play soccer! So I have been also playing soccer with some sisters. It usually is Syster W, Sister Mcphie, and I on one team and we play against three girls going to Romania. We have a great time and you would be very impressed to see how my feet don't trip over the ball. 
  • I LOVE my district. We are all going to Sweden--so we seem to be pretty close. It is just Syster W and I for systers and then 6 other komratscaps (companionships).. my favorite word. Mostly they are really great Elders, but they do tend to get a little goofy towards the end of the day during personal study. Erik you would be very impressed how I am patient and don't tell them off. :) It's hard sometimes.. but Syster and I just shake our heads with a smile on our face and keep studying. I love personal study time too. Now that I am getting a better idea of what to study on my own it is coming along better.
  • Syster W and I finished teaching our first investigator Inari and we both felt like we learned alot. I cant believe we taught someone in Swedish! Very broken and slow, but hey at least we got out the main gist of the lesson: God loves you. :) So our Swedish class is still all in Swedish but they have started doing our missionary class time in English..I am really greatful for that.
  • I saw a boy from BYU-I who was having a hard time deciding to go on a mission. He finally decided to go as I was getting ready.  I ran into him the other day and he got so excited he tried to hug me. I about had a heart attack and felt like I had been violated for the next thirty minutes. haha OH man.
  • Syster W and I only pray in Swedish now. It is really cool to use new words I learn each day in my prayers. My goals are not as lofty as Erik's were. We try and learn 15 new words a day (we probably end up learning more than that) and remember two scriptures a day. It's going pretty well. Erik, I am using those little flash cards you told me about and they work great. I have also memorized "Our Purpose" in Swedish now. Syster and I quote it to eachother during shower time :) Did I mention I LOVE Syster Winterton! The Lord really wanted me to learn a lot here at the MTC and she has such a similar learning style to me so it is perfect. We pretty much study the same things and all our goals we work on together. She is still faster at learning words than I am.. but that is Ok. We are all different. I usually have to make up funny phrases to help me remember the big words. impossible=om-oil-leak (omoijlig)
  • One of my favorite moments has been to watch our elders grow in their understanding of how they are centering their lives on Christ. One of the Elders here named Elder Whitworth has really started to shine. He reminds me of Chris Gynn: tough on the outside,vbut a softy on the inside. Well he has made a few comments where you can see he is tearing up inside. It makes me think of Erik as he grew in his testimony. 
  • Ps. ERIK! where did all my letters GO!? I had like 20 last week and none this week :(  But i loved the cinnamon rolls!! :) best idea ever!
  • Packages.. I got those cinnamon rolls from Erik the fisrt week and my friend Sarah Williamson sent me some this week! OH my goodness.. Packages are awesome but they are dangerous too :) (Sarah--I loved your wrapping on the package.. your Swedish was perfect!)
  • Devotionals are my favorite parts of the week. This week we sang "Called to serve" as an opening hymn. Usually that song is just ok but! the first verse we sang really soft. Second verse louder.. then on the chorus we all stand up at once and sing LOUD. in the middle parts the piano has some trills.. It was AWESOME. It is really cool to be a part of the MTC with all these missionaries together. It was suppossed to be like an army martching from far away.. you can just hardly hear then at the beginnning and we get louder as we come around the bend.
  • I listed to Elder Hollands talk called "Divine Companionship" given at the MTC. It was AMAZing and life changing :) He talked about going out in three's not two's. You always have the Spirit as your third comp. And you should ALWays teach with the spirit.  In the D&C where it says "Thou shalt not teach if you dont have the spirit with you.." Well he said that was commandment language.. when it says "Shalt" it means I forbid you to teach without the spirit. So I have thought alot about that
Well only 4 mins left
  • There are four of us here from Jerusalem! It was so cool to see each girl and we got together and took a pciture. I have seen quite a few people who I know.
  • Oh! and I saw Sister Johnson--Dad who you set apart.. she said i looked like you and recognized me.. she is doing well.
  • Katie- Syster W and I had a laughing outburst in class and i couldnt stop laughing. it reminded me of you and Ann. hahha :) Love laughing :) I got your letter and it made me laugh to hear about the people you are working with.. i hope it goes better and you start to like it more. tell ann i say hi
  • Christa! I got your letter. :) you are the best! thanks for taking care of all that.. and i pray for those babies inside your tummy always :) oh and i am wearing your necklace "Small but Mighty".. the chain broke.. so i have it on my necklace with my heart and i wear it all the time.
  • dad i got your letter. you are doing great. and thanks for the support. I am going to try and do my best
  • mommy I love you!! and keep on keeping on.
  • thanks grandma! for your letter! You and grandpa are great!
 
So to end, I have decided it is all about love. Everything is centered on God's love for us. That is why without charity/ love it doesnt matter how much faith we have. Love is the greatest motivator in my life. And I am just filled with Love. So I am trying to forget about myself and LOVE.  Also learning a language is an adventure... and I love adventures... especially with all the wrong turns and mishaps along the way. 
 
Love You!!
Syster  J

No comments:

Post a Comment