Thursday, December 6, 2012

Nov. 26: Thanksgiving

Dear Family!!

Life is swell. I think I got a sinus infection this week but not to worry. Syster Werjefelt took good care of me and made me rest and get medicine. She made fun of me and said she was going to remember me as the snot lady. I am always amazed by how much snot the body can produce. SOO many tissues! And Happy thanksgiving!!

We only have a few American families in the ward and so I asked one of them what they were going to be doing for thanksgiving. They said they would be celebrating it on Saturday with a few other families in the ward. After asking I was hoping we would get invited as well… but no invitation came. I was thinking this might be a not so great thanksgiving. BUT! Then another family came up and invited us over to their thanksgiving on Thursday night! Yay!! I don’t know what I would do without a ward. They really do become your family.

This Sunday our relief society lesson was on a talk from General Conference called “Ask the Missionaries.” I remember listening to this talk and thinking.. o boy I am one of those missionaries. The talk is all about how “the missionaries” are the ones to turn to for all the questions one can have. It seems that we are the solution to any problem  As I listened to the talk I thought.. I don’t feel like I can really solve all those problems! Yikes. So the teacher asked me in the lesson about some of them major things I had learned on my mission… seeing as I was a missionary preparing to go home.

I told her that I had learned a lot… One thing in particular was that I was not sent here to Sweden to just help those who were not a part of this church. I felt I have been sent here to help many of the active members.

The teacher had talked about how it was interesting that they had chosen this talk for the lesson because she felt like it was more directed towards non-members and less-actives. But when I listened to it.. many of the situations that Elder Nelson brings up.. are problems that active members have.

This might not be interesting to all of you.. but I really loved the lesson.. and moral of the story is USE YOUR MISSIONARIES! Love them, get to know them and make them a part of your family and then introduce them to all your friends and extended family 

Simon was baptized!! Finally. Our 9 year old little friend has been sick and lots of other problems that have stopped him from getting baptized the past month. But this Sunday it all worked out. It was definitely the calmest and easiest baptism to prepare and it was really beautiful. 

We had some wonderful miracles this week. Simple miracles. It is funny the blessings I write down in my journal each day. Monday we went to Lund to have a little thanksgiving party with some of the elders in near-by areas. We played Frisbee and sand soccer! And we had planned a fun activity for the evening and invited all of our friends. Throughout the day we got texts back from them saying.. no I cant come.. im too busy.. etc. I felt like I usually would start getting stressed and really worried.. But I have been doing this for quite some time now and I know Heavenly Father will help it all work out. And what do you know..! We had a good turn out of people and had a great evening. Big thanks to our amazing member Hadi!! You all need to meet Hadi. I told you about him before that he was a muslim studying here in Sweden from Iran. Syster Vistaunet and Syster Jacobs were teaching a Chinese member at his school and Hadi was in the background and heard them talking.. and he was interested to hear more about Christ and the Bible. So he came up to them and asked them if he could learn more after they were done teaching. He is now one of the strongest members I have ever met. And definitely the best missionary I have ever met. He has introduced us to all his friends and we have taught many of them.

We also got to FINALLY meet with our cute Vietnamese friend Hang again! Her schedule has opened up a bit and she invited us over to her home to have Vietnamese food. It was soo much fun. We had a big bowl of soup with meet and noodles and ate with chopsticks. Syster Werjefelt had a rough time eating with chopsticks and they all had a great laugh watching her try. 

Thanksgiving we spent with the wonderful Larsson family. The wife, Lisa is from UT and she married a wonderful Swedish man, Bert. They lived in the states for a long time and then moved to Sweden. Their two kids have mostly lived in Sweden. Lisa doesn’t have any American relatives here in Sweden.. just Berts family. So she wasn’t sure if she really wanted to have a big thanksgiving party this year but her son is on a mission in Wisconsin and she knew how important it would be to her that someone took in her son for Thanksgiving. So she said that she threw thanksgiving mostly for us  She also invited all of Berts family for dinner (non of them are members of the church). It was lots of fun getting to be with a family and especially getting to know all of these fun Swedish people. Before we had to leave I just wanted to thank them all.. and I told them about the tradition we have at home to go around the table and everyone gets a chance to say what they are thankful for. SO I just told them what I was thankful for. And then everyone else wanted to join in. It was interesting to hear what they all said what they were most grateful for… Family.

So family! I have loved being here in Sweden.. it has been an amazing year filled with lots of wonderful people that I have come to love. I will miss them a lot. But I have also recognized how MUCH I LOVE YOU ALL.

LOVE

Syster Schneiber II

No comments:

Post a Comment