Monday, March 12, 2012

Feb 20: A Book and Prayers

Dear family
 
There is much for one to learn with the time we have here on earth.  I would like to start by stating my gratitude for the Book of Mormon. I do not know where I would be without it. It has uplifted me in times of sorrow, given me words to express the joy I have felt in times of happiness, given me ideas to help me grow and stretch, and been my link to heaven as I wait for Heavenly Father to answer my pleas. It is my evidence that God and Christ do exist.  Just this morning I was reading the words of Alma as he testified to the people of Ammonihah.  As they try to find a flaw in his words and destroy him--he stands firm and testifies of Heavenly Fathers plan for us. I never realized how much the authors of the Book of Mormon talk about the Plan.  "And they began to call on his name; therefore God conversed with men, and [he] made known unto them the plan of redemption...and this he made known unto them according to their faith and repentance and their holy works." (Alma 12:30) 
 
God does talk to his people... after they call him.. and he answers them according to their faith and actions.  I am so grateful for prayer.  Sometimes it feels as if no one answers. Especially when I really would like an answer. But I believe He always does answer.  Most often in a way we do not expect it. I have been wanting and waiting for a certain answer this week.  And I was surprised this morning as I realized I had already received my answer.. Numerous times in fact.  I wrote in my journal today "I feel some kind of hope bubbling up in me..".
 
I listened to a talk by Elder Bednar and he said most often  "They can tell the spirit of the Lord from all other spirits.  It will whisper peace and joy to their souls, and it will take malice, hatred, envying, strife, and all evil from their hearts, and their whole desire will be to do good, bring forth righteousness, and build up the Kingdom of God."  As I listened to that it was like a small piece of the puzzle fell into place and part of my prayers was being answered.  I feel and have felt that whispering of peace and joy before. I have felt it take out the negative feelings as well.  And i have many times felt that desire to do no more evil.
 
On a lighter note. We had some very interesting lessons this week. We met with our science guy Amin.  It was like an hour of pounding against a brick wall. We would try and take a different approach to reach him. But nope. The Big Wall appeared every path we tried. I tried just saying the simple statement... "We believe that God is our loving Heavenly Father. He loves us and want us to return to Him again."  He some how related that to atoms, molecules, and particles.  I have no idea what he is trying to get at.  At one point he also said, "It is that simple?" I guess simplicity is a bad thing for him? :)  I don't know, I kind of like how simple it is.  He also said the Book of Mormon was the same stuff written in the Koran and Bible... So we told him to go back and read it again and see what else is there.  After that teach Syster Juker and I were TIRED.  But we had another lesson right after. Sabrina! She is our awesome Chinese girl who is trying to figure out if there is a God.  We taught her the plan of salvation. It was beautiful.  When we got to Christ and explained who He is--she stopped and said "it makes me feel warm and good."  We told her that was the Holy Ghost telling her it was true. 
 
It was very interesting seeing the difference between the two lessons.  Having that open heart and faith is so important.  Must be why Christ always says it is because of our faith that heals us.  Sabrina came to church on Sunday.  She said she was a little nervous to come and she didn't know if she could really commit to coming to three hours of church every week. But we told her to just come today and test it out.  It was a normal meeting.  Nothing spectacular.  The last meeting went long and I looked over at her.. a little worried she was never going to come back because it was three hours long.  She had not too much emotion on her face.  After the meeting I asked her what she thought.  "I feel very peaceful." was her response.  She liked the music the best.  Sooo! We will just keep moving forward.
 
Another really sweet experience this week was when we went to help clean the "Wiklöf".  They are an old couple. The husband is still on his death bed. They have done so much for the church. And Edith is getting really run down and tired. So we have been coming over three Friday's now to help her clean for an hour.  As I cleaned this week I had a quick moment of wondering.. "Is the best use of our time? Should we be out trying to find more people, be with less actives.. tried to set up some teach somehow.. we could have tried to get some members to do this instead."  I put it at the back of my mind thinking.. well there i nothing I can do about it now.. might as well enjoy the service I can offer her.   Well as if in answer to my worries.. as we packed up to go, Edith turned to us to thank us.  Tears just began to run down her face as she said "I couldn't have done it with out you two."  It was a sweet moment to be the hands of the Lord. 
 
I am not perfect. And I don't need to worry about hiding that from the Lord. He knows it even more than I.  What I and you must do is just try and do our best and ask Him to help us with the rest.
 
 I love you all.  Always keep your eyes open to those around you that the Lord might guide you to help.  There is nothing greater realizing you were an answer to an others prayers.
 
 LOVE SYSTER SCHNEIBER
   An instrument in the Lord's hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment