Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Mar 19: Member Missionaries and Green Smoothies

Dear Family
 
 I am in Alingsås! I have arrived safely and love my wonderful, awesome, darling, funny companion. She is just perfect for me :)  We almost have too much fun.. so we have to make sure we stick to the task at hand and don't get carried away.  I love it. 
 
Alingsås is a small town. It reminds me of New Canaan. Most people commute into Göteborg (45 min train ride). Just like NYC. So it seems that each transfer and each area will have its challenges. Allingsås's challenges is that EVERYONe already seems to know who we are. Almost every single door has been knocked on in the past year. We also dont have too many investigators. So.. unlike Jönköping where we were having to prioritize what and who was most important to see in a day.. I'm back to white blank days trying to fill it with productive work.  It feels like Uppsala again in some ways.  but! This time we have a FABULOUS ward! The ward also reminds me of NC. Its a little smaller then Jönköping.. about 100 active members? maybe 120?.. We had our first meeting with our mission leader. it was amazing once again! They sat down went through our investigators-- then invited in the relief society president, bishop, and high priest leader. They all had things to help us with. I was very impressed. So our focus here is a little different. Every night we have a member dinner and we are really focusing on member referrals. This is the way missioanry work should be done!
 
We went to one members house for dinner, The Hollesens.  We had a wonderful lesson and at the end asked for referrals. Syster Sprague remembered that the mother Gunn was actually a friend with a woman who was in Göteborg who used to be investigating the church. She said she hadn't heard from her in a while and said she would call her. She walked out of the room right after that. Ten mins later she was back. She said she had called this woman.. invited her to come to church and then have dinner with the family and missionaries after church on Sunday. GUNN MADE MY DAY!  Way to go member missionary work! We had an amazing lesson with her on Sunday. the members basically did all the teaching.. we just testified (which is our job :)  and now she is going to meet with the missionaries again in Göteborg. wahoo! 
    We met with this other awesome member,  Berit (she reminds me of Marianne, mom's friend) my first full day in Alingsås. She is older and her husband died in December. She told us of how she became a member--missionaries knocked on her door a few times always asking about doing a family home evening program. But one time as she opened the door the missionary received some inspiration and asked her some specific questions. It was exactly what she had been wondering about. She let them in and that was that.  Well this missionary had since written a book about his experiences. So she pulled it out for us and I read it allowed. The spirit washed over us so strong. And she said she felt like she was once again back there in that old apt with her two little kids listening to the missionaries. We then asked her about one of her friends we have been praying for.  Suddenly we had her address, a time to go visit her, etc.  It was really a neat experience. Hard to explain over an email. You should all just become one of my freckles on my face so you can experience it with me.  That day we really hadn't had any success or any other lessons. As we walked away from the lesson i thought.. well at least if no non members are willing to let me in and up lift them.. the least I can do is come in and uplift and inspire members. Berit said she felt so rejuvenated and ready to go out and talk to all her friends. :)  Yay!  I asked her if she was really Swedish at one point because she was so out going and not shy at all.  
 
   That very morning we had taken Syster Erickson to the airport.  (I can tuesday afternoon and got to be a threesome for a day for Syster Ericksons last day as a missionary!!)  As Syster Erickson loaded her bags onto the train she came back to the door and stood there to wave goodbye. We started singing God be with you till we meet again as a fun farewell. Syster E got so embarassed.. putting her fingers to her lips and saying that people were starting to look at her. :)  We just sang all the more loud. It was so fun and Berit was there singing along with us!  This is not very swedish-like. She is too much fun.
  
It was a little strange to see Syster Erickson go. She is home! crazy! So that morning as we came back home to do our personal study I felt a little lost and sad.  But! That is why I love the scriptures. I am in Alma now and I opened up to Alma 26.  My new favorite chapter in the BOM. It was the perfect chapter for me and I really felt like Heavenly Father had answered my prayers through the scriptures that morning. I LOVE THE BOOK OF MORMON. Alma 26:35 is amazing.
 
"Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all apower, ball wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a cmerciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name."
 
   I also had the wonderful opportunity (:) To give a talk my first Sunday here. My talk was about how we can make hard commitments through Jesus Christ. I loved this topic. We really do have an all powerful God. Why don't we use him more? recognize that we can do all things through Him. That is a lot of what I have been thinking about this week. I love being a missionary.  We also got to show one of our investigators the Joseph Smith movie.  As we ended the movie I couldn't help but feel a powerful desire to go out and spread this amazing news. We really do have the fullness of the Gospel. There are people who are searching for it. I thought, even with all the hard times of a mission... I wouldn't take it back. If I had stayed home and not gone on a mission.. I would just continue to feel a strong desire in me to go out and proclaim this truth.  This is a very poorly written letter. But I just LOVE having the opportunity to be a full time missionary for the Lord to spread this truth. Even if people don't accept it. It still needs to be spread.  I really like Alma 29: 1. 
 O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the atrump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!
  I feel that way :)
 
 Last bit of wonderful news. Li and Wilson made it to the temple on Saturday! Sys Juker called and told me about it. She said the spirit was really strong and they had a great time. Guess who else was there for their first trip to the temple!? Häkan!! She saw him there too!  OH!  I feel so grateful to partake in the joy that comes from helping people come closer to their heavenly father. yay!
 
I love you all and I hope you can this week take some time to realize how lucky we are to have the gospel. Then realize how many other people deserve the chance to know about it.
 
LOVE Syster Schneiber
 
Syster Sprague does green smoothies! We have offically loaded up the fridge with spinach and we have a blender!
  I have also found a Neti Pot in the apartment! :) YAy for cleaning out my sinuses!

No comments:

Post a Comment